The Ontario Hazelnut Association is looking for eager and enthusiastic employee for work on research farms including data collection and scouting at various locations in Ontario.
The OHA is helping to spearhead the development of a hazelnut industry in Ontario by working with researchers, government, producers, and processors across the province. The students will be directly involved in the efforts.
The research employee will provide critical support to the development of the hazelnut industry in Ontario. The role will involve both infield work as well as data collection and analysis. The role is intended to be full time under the CSJ program rules.
- The employee will be responsible for:
- Visiting hazelnut orchards within the region, and recording information
- Creating orchard maps
- Assessing and recording hazelnut yield data
- Scouting orchards recording data on tree pests and disease
- Supporting the planting, maintaining, and caring for Hazelnut trees
- Compiling records, preparing spreadsheets and reports for the farmer and for the Ontario Hazelnut Association
- Administrative and member support projects for the OHA
The successful applicant will have a demonstrated ability to:
- Work independently and as part of a team,
- Pay attention to detail, work safely, and demonstrate thoroughness in their work
- Work outdoors in a variety of weather
- Perform manual labour in the tree orchard
- Work with mechanized equipment such as lawn mowers and other equipment
Ideally, the employee will:
- Enjoy outdoor work and have experience in outdoor projects such as agriculture, lawn care, construction etc.
- Have an educational interest in horticulture, agriculture, sciences or business
- Possess a valid Ontario driver’s license, with own transportation to and from work, with availability to travel to other locations across the region
- Have a good working knowledge of Excel and Microsoft Office
The main/host location for this role will be in Thorndale, Ontario.
We thank all applicants for their interest in this role.
Contract length: 8 weeks
If you are interested please email your resume and cover letter to email@example.com